Diani Beach Safari
Treat yourself to Kenya’s devastatingly beautiful south coast with a Diani beach safari. Voted, the 7th best beach in Africa in 2017 by Tripadvisor, Diani is nothing short of palm-fringed paradise.
Diani incorporates Tiwi beach, Chale Island, Funzi Island, Galu beach, Kinondo and Msambweni.
Its surfable waves, white sand and lush forest make a Diani beach safari the perfect escape for honeymooners, aqua sports enthusiasts, party groups, families and backpackers.
You can choose to relax in a hammock and watch the waves ebb on the Indian Ocean shores or visit the coral mosques, sacred forests, monkey forests and other exciting tourist sites.
Travelers wishing to experience Kenya’s coast usually have to decide between North and South coast. North Coast (north of Mombasa) is more crowded and offers a wider range of activities such as sightseeing, shopping, nightlife and sports.
The beaches on the south are more beautiful and most of its hotels are isolated and serene.
- Wild primates at the Colobus Conservation
- View where the ancestors reside at Kaya Kinondo Sacred Forest
- Komboza Cave
- Coral rock slave caves at Shimoni
- Flying foxes and bats at Fikirini caves
- Panoramic views of Shimba Hills from Kutazama
- Dhow safari
- Day tour to Wasini Island
- Visit the slave caves
- Boat trip on Mwachema River
- Water skiing
- Attend a diving school at Diving the Crab or Diani Marine
- Make a wish at Kaya Kinondo Sacred Forest
- Snorkeling at Kisite Marine Park and Wasini Island
- Have dinner at The Sands in Chale which is Kenya’s only resort island
- Take a dolphin safari
- Take a dhow cruise as you learn more about mangroves
- Visit Gazi village and Kongo Mosque
Places to stay while at Diani
- The Sands at Nomad
- Diani Sea Resort
- Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa
- Diani Sea Lodge
- The Villa Luxury Suites
- Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
- Southern Palms Beach Resort
- Swahili Beach Resort
- Amani Tiwi Beach Resort
- Neptune Village Beach Resort
- Neptune Paradise Beach Resort
- Leopard Beach Resort
- Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort
- Ocean Village Club
- Bahari Dhow Beach Villas
- Diani Banda Cottages
- Sheba Cottages
- Shalom Cottages
- Tiwani Cottages
- Shimoni Backpackers
When to schedule a Diani beach safari
Diani is humid with sunshine hours ranging from 7 to 9 hours a day. Temperatures are always high and most rainfall is seen in April, May, October and November.
The sea is very turbulent between May and June due to strong currents and tours to Wasini and other places that require boat rides are not highly recommended. If you want to truly enjoy a Diani beach safari, travel during the warmest months such as December to March.
Rainfall usually doesn’t last for long and periods of sunshine are always abundant even in wet seasons.
Most travellers combine a Diani beach safari with a Masai Mara safari. If you want to combine beach fun with a safari, travel to Kenya from Nairobi to save on the high cost of flights from Ukunda to Maasai Mara.
How to get to Diani
- Ferry: The Kenya Ferry Service transports people from Mombasa to South Coast. Take a ferry from Kilindini and alight at Likoni. This 5-minute crossing runs regularly but expect delays during rush hour.
- Air: Diani is served by Ukunda Airstrip. There are at least three flights every day to Nairobi with Air Kenya and Fly 540. You can get low-cost flights for your Diani beach safari on Vacay Holiday Deals. Many hotels offer free pick-up from the Ukunda Airstrip. If this is not offered, you can take a taxi at the minimum fare of KSh 700. Alternatively, you can talk to a driver from other hotel vans that wait at the airport for their guests. The driver will most probably allow you to board once you tip him.
- Road: You can take a matatu (local bus-taxi) from Mombasa town to Likoni Ferry. Once you alight at the ferry, take another matatu to Ukunda which is 30km away. Finally, board a matatu for the remaining 5km of the trip from Ukunda to Diani beach. If you’re coming from Tanzania, get a Mombasa bound bus and drop off at Ukunda. From there to Diani beach, you could take a taxi or matatu.
What to pack for a Diani beach safari
- Flipflops & sandals
- Beach dresses
- Smart casual clothing for evenings
If beach fun is on your wish list, check out the Diani beach safari packages available or call an agent to customize your trip.
|Languages spoken||Swahili, English|
|Area (km2)||10 km long|